Book Title: The-Elements-of-Style
- Best book to improve your writing
Book Title: Style towards Clarify and Grace
- Great tip: As you write, shift from the familiar, simple to the more complex, unfamiliar information. You can do this in the space of a sentence, a paragraph, or a section in your writing.
- Tip: While you can begin a sentence with “and” or “but”, keep such sentences to a minimum (one or two per page).
- Tip: Use a mind map to lay out the main sections and subsections of the “story”, and then add details to flesh out the narrative. Introduce the topic with the first sentence of the first paragraph, then end the first paragraph with your topic sentence.
- Tip: Write in active voice. Use passive voice when you need it or when it will add to the grace and style of the writing.
Book Title: Writing Science: How to Write Papers That Get Cited and Proposals That Get Funded
- Most important tip: As a scientist, you are a professional writer.
Book Title: On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction