Albert-László Barabási - The Formula - The Universal Laws of Success
Title: The Formula: The Universal Laws of Success
- Performance drives success, but when performance can’t be measured, networks drive success.
- “It’s not what you know, it’s WHO you know. Or rather, who knows YOU.
- You can create something great, but it helps if people who are already known for being great know just how great YOU are.””
- Performance is bounded, but success is unbounded.
- “There’s only so fast you can run, or how good you can make your product.””
- “But there’s no limit to how much money you can make, or how many lives you can influence.””
- Previous success x fitness = future success.
- “It helps if you’re already known for being awesome, and then it helps to actually BE awesome. “”
- If you’re not known yet, connect with someone who is. People listen to those they know, even when it doesn’t make sense to do so.
- While team success requires diversity and balance, a single individual will receive credit for the group’s achievements.
- “in sports all the time. It’s the exact opposite of group projects from school (where one individual does all the work, and the group receives credit for the assignment).”
- With persistence success can come at any time.
- “It’s never too late. You never know which of your efforts will lead to a sudden breakthrough, so keep going. Keep creating. “
- the reason behind old saying “after certain age, no breakthrough” is because people try less when aging.